In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Upland Sandpiper is a black, brown, and white mottled bird with a long neck and tail and yellow legs.
- He was tall, with dark brown hair and green eyes mottled with flecks of brown.
- His main concerns with fluoridation include the potential risk of brain cancer, hip fractures and mottled teeth.
- In summer their dappled shade doesn't overwhelm lawns and plants around them, and in winter, the bark is mottled.
- The bald skin is mottled with age spots, which have gone crusty.
- As he got close to the woman, he could see only her face and her hair, and they were mottled with mud.
- True, the skin on his arms has been scarred and mottled by the sun, a side-effect of living in Hawaii.
- Juveniles and females are mottled brown with a dark bill and yellowish legs.
- She's a short-horn dairy calf, brown and mottled with huge, sweet eyes.
- The dining room has a mottled beige carpet and sliding glass doors to the patio area.
- Her calves, soles, toes, palms, and fingertips were dark red and mottled.
- Using a sponge the body is mottled with green paint to give a pleasing finish
- Sara whirled around, cheeks mottled red in embarrassment as soon as she saw the intruder.
- The woman was wearing a short sleeved beige top and her bare arms were mottled red from the cold.
- The dirt on his face was evident, mottling it in patches.
- The flesh is orange-yellow and mottled with red, with an almost peachlike texture.
- If you absorb enough fluoride it can become dangerous - it does cause mottled teeth and there is an issue over bone damage.
- Tobacco mosaic is a virus that mottles leaves, stunts plants, and reduces yields.
- Genuine wrought iron usually has a pitted and mottled appearance, even if it has been cleaned.
- There was a bruise on her cheekbone and her forearms were mottled with them.
- The shells of live lobsters are mottled green, blue and red.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.