In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1montañero masculinemontañera femininealpinista feminineandinista masculine Latin America
- Blyth and Bob are extremely experienced mountaineers and mountain guides, and Blyth also runs the avalanche forecasting service in Scotland.
- Like all people who live in the mountains, they think mountaineers are mad.
- For more advanced mountaineers, there is the challenge of ice climbing.
- Veteran British mountaineer Chris Bonington, who climbed Everest in 1985, has now joined those demanding a change in the mountaineering culture.
- He took pride in pulling his weight despite being far younger than seasoned mountaineers like the 33-year-old Hillary.
- The British Mountaineering Council protects and promotes the interests of climbers and mountaineers.
- Based on a true story, it recalls how two ambitious mountaineers set out to conquer a previously unclimbed peak in the Peruvian Andes in 1985.
- According to Sir Chris Bonington, the veteran mountaineer and author, it would be a ‘huge achievement’.
- ‘When I think about it, my hands sweat,’ rock climber and mountaineer Conrad Anker says of the route.
- I was a rock climber and mountaineer, although I now confine myself to fell walking.
- He is a mountaineer, ice climber, expedition skier, guide, father of three, and intellectual authority on the singular history and geography of his beloved Iceland.
- It is an international fraternity of mountaineers.
- For the legendary mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary, scaling mountain peaks no longer remains the sport it once was.
- Sherpas first became prominent to Westerners as British mountaineers set their sights on conquering Himalayan peaks.
- But mountaineering involves risk, and occasionally a mountaineer must be rescued.
- Once the ski season is over, Andorra's mountains are still frequented by hikers, mountaineers, and rock climbers.
- Calling a president a political failure is like calling Hillary and Norgay failed mountaineers: it is impossible to follow the logic, but readers presumably recognise the rhetoric.
- Collen is an accomplished mountaineer, rock climber, alpine skier, and has several years experience guiding in the mountains of Vancouver Island and coastal British Columbia.
- Reasoning that he and Jean Carrel ought to join forces instead of competing, Whymper tried to persuade the Italian mountaineer to work for him as a guide.
- To climb Everest, mountaineers must work within a very tight and strictly enforced time frame.
- Each year they receive dozens of calls reporting lost walkers, stranded climbers or injured mountaineers.
1to go mountaineering — montañismo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.