In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Just because a pimply-faced 15-year-old tries to grow a moustache so he can buy cigarettes, nobody's fooled.
- The man police want to question is described as being in his forties, 5ft 10 in tall, medium build, with olive skin and short black hair and a thick moustache.
- She said: ‘He looked like a robust muscular man with white hair and a moustache.’
- Since he grew a long moustache for a role in the West End, people have stopped calling him Nigel in the street.
- He is of a medium build and has short grey receding hair and a moustache.
- I saw Seymour today & he is having a struggle to grow a moustache.
- The soldier is played by Basim Hamed, a willowy, 31-year-old sculptor who shaved his shoulder-length hair and grew a mustache for the part.
- He can make out the attempts at a mustache on his upper lip, but his hair is too fine and matches his pink skin too well to show.
- The dads in the 1900 and 1940s houses had a whale of a time, being required to do little more than grow a moustache, read old newspapers and lift their feet for their wretched wives to sweep under.
- He looked about 60, had really long grey hair and a long moustache, and thin, long, really white legs, proper old man's legs.
- He's described as 5'11 in height and of medium build with tightly cropped hair and a ginger moustache.
- Then they accuse me of not being able to grow a real moustache.
- I was in Germany for over a month, long enough to learn to appreciate the white beer, not long enough to grow a moustache.
- One month I actually grew a moustache, just so I could say that I'd done something.
- I, for one, would never consider voting for anyone who couldn't grow a moustache, at the very least.
- He was swarthy and well-built, with dark hair and a moustache.
- One had a black moustache and had his hair tied up.
- An old man wearing glasses that drooped down to his nose with grey hair and a thin grey mustache above his upper lip stood before us with a grin.
- She has a pencil-thin moustache on her upper lip.
- She told police at the time that he had long hair and a moustache and was travelling alone in a white pick-up truck, with only his dog.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.