In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(film)película femininefilm masculinefilme masculine(actor/director) de cinemovie film — película feminine
- movie industry — industria cinematográfica / del cine
- movie producer — productor de cine
- Now, you know how I love my zombie movies, so I don't take reviewing such films lightly.
- I was a monster movie buff when I was a kid.
- Ustinov also wrote and directed the movie based on his own play.
- In Sony's case, it helps to own some music and movie studios.
- When I heard this morning that there were movie premiere tickets to be won, I entered.
- The only thing missing was music playing in the background from a movie soundtrack!
- Estrada, a former action movie star, assumed the presidency in 1998.
- See Tarnation on a movie theater screen if you have the chance.
- I love teen angst movies with moody, atmospheric modern rock soundtracks.
- These are undoubtedly his most successful movies in a film career which contains a wide mix of the good, the bad and the mediocre.
- I think we both agree on the importance of the movie theater version.
- Video games join action figures, trading cards and plush toys as summer movie tie-ins.
- But I urge you more cynical movie buffs to give this classic a try.
- Finally he picked a design that I had based roughly on a movie theatre.
- Summer action movies don't have to be this bad.
- The plot draws, of course, from the recently released animated movie of the same name.
- Some movies seem better while you're watching them than they actually are.
- A lot of people are doing lists of their favorite scary movies.
- But it is, for me, the best American animated movie of the year.
2.1(building)the movies — el cine
- to go to the movies — ir al cine / a ver una película
2.2(Industry)cine masculineshe's in movies — trabaja en (el) cine
- Caine then tells Parkinson about his love for the movies, and the main reasons he became an actor.
- He has one of those over the top Parisian accents you hear in the movies.
- Unlike in the movies, this commencement was long, boring and very unsatisfying.
- If it wasn't for the one busted knee I could be in the movies now you know.
- The majority of the ones I encounter are underpaid yet have a great love for the movies.
- The result is incredibly cinematic, and manages not to trivialise the imagination and atmosphere of the movies.
- As much of an asset to the movies as he is to the stage, there are many cinema-goers who hope he doesn't stay away from the screen for too long.
- And though the movies are starting to change and we have the odd Lara Croft, there is still a way to go.
- After 40 years of living in France, only now has this community begun to exist in the movies.
- One of the things I find funniest is invented rituals in the movies.
- I teased him that he was like the pool guy in the movies, who goes around servicing all the bored housewives.
- Believe me it's far more difficult to know what to say to an unconscious loved one than the movies make out.
- Probably the best spider scene ever in the movies is in merely an addendum to a film.
- Like in the movies, big names guarantee a big audience on Broadway.
- I grabbed her, picked her up, and swung her around like they do in the movies.
- She looked like one of those artificially aged people in the movies, with their grey skin, grey hair and faux wrinkles.
- Youngsters will be given the chance to act out some of their favourite scenes from the movies at a stunt camp being run in the city over the summer.
- Young filmmakers hoping to make it in the movies are showcasing their work next week.
- When I landed a job at the STAR newspaper I thought it would be like journalism in the movies.
- You don't need to be a film buff to enjoy the movies or a football fanatic to watch a game.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.