In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Sra.Mrs A.J. Rees — Sra. (Dña.) A. J. Rees
- Mrs John Smith — Sra. (Dña.) … de Smith
- It is inscribed at the front as belonging to a Mrs Janet Maule and dated June 25 1701, although recipes have been added over a number of years.
- I have been requested by a reader - a Mrs Trellis of North Island - for more up to date news of our favourite family.
- Storrs told how he visited a Mrs Downes, a washerwoman who was in labour with her tenth child, on January 7, 1841.
- In 1841, a Mrs Harriet Hatt noticed a strangely dressed man enter a shop.
- Alora was being picked up from the airport at nine-thirty by a Mrs Harrow, after watching Jessie's plane fly away.
- That was the question sent to reader Mrs M. Yates by a Mrs B. Bryan, who now lives in Tasmania but who used to live in Ringley, and whose maiden name was Wilson.
- On the appeal a Mrs Tunstall, a professional psychologist, gave evidence.
- One day I was sent as a gardener to a Mrs Milligan of 127 Holden Road, Finchley.
- Spot prizes were won by Tommy Bredican, Phylis Bredican, Mrs Fiona Durkin and Mrs Noreen Geraghty.
- Yes, and it's a marvellous fruitcake sent to us by a Mrs Bradford of Bingley.
- A century later, the Hull Ladies' Musical Union, founded at the home of a Mrs Dover of Hinderwell Street in the city, is still going strong.
- Although he never married, his long relationship with a Mrs Louisa Barrow produced four children, all of whom bore his name.
- ‘The latest letter I got was from a Mrs Mungalsingh who complained about two radio stations,’ Prince recalled.
- We're now staying at a B & B run by a Mrs Peg Bogle, who remembers you.
- In 1977 the then president of the Panacea Society, a Mrs Cuthbertson, produced a list of 15 conditions for opening the box.
- In 1880 a Mrs Millner, a member of the Religious Society of Friends, started the Industrial Association in order to help distressed Irish gentlewomen in Mountmellick.
- The only thing left was to ask Nick to buy an extra return ticket for the ferry Tuesday afternoon in the name of a Mrs S. Owen, but pay cash for this one.
- The other founder to be honoured, a Mrs Langdon, died some years ago.
- The building was leased to a Mrs Park in 1960 and then was made into residential dwellings - a house and a cottage.
- The national champion was placed third, with local rival Trevor Heeks of Trowbridge coming second and a Mrs Capewell from Peterborough winning overall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.