In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The conjunctiva contains thousands of cells that produce mucus and tiny glands that produce tears.
- Davis worries that inhibitors of mucus secretion might block activity of beneficial proteins.
- Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chronic coughing and increased mucus production.
- Excess mucus in the airways causes severe cough and discomfort, and can lead to further obstruction and inflammation.
- We therefore sought to study the mechanisms by which this increase in airway mucus production is regulated.
- The bacteria feed on mucus secreted by glands on the worms' backs.
- Actually coughing is a healthy reflex that helps clear mucus or phlegm in the throat and chest.
- Coughing is good because it helps to clear foreign objects and mucus from your lungs and breathing tubes.
- It is spread by contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person.
- If necessary to loosen mucus in the nose, you can use salt water nose drops.
- The normal physiologic vaginal discharge comprises vaginal secretions, exfoliated cells and cervical mucus.
- To increase participation, we also collected nasal mucus by asking volunteers to blow their noses into a paper tissue.
- Your baby's doctor may recommend saline nose drops or saltwater nasal spray to loosen thick nasal mucus.
- A person with cystic fibrosis produces thick, sticky mucus that provides a perfect breeding ground for bacterial growth.
- Calcium ions have been mentioned as a possible means of stiffening a mucus secretion.
- Dysentery was defined as the presence of blood and mucus in the stools.
- Excess mucus occurs only in some pathological conditions, and makes its presence known in the stools.
- Physiotherapy helps clear the thick, sticky mucus from the lungs.
- The cervical mucus plugs the cervical canal and normally prevents foreign materials from entering the reproductive tract.
- Other symptoms include a fever, tenderness over your face, and thick green or yellow mucus in your nose.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.