In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was a very old and dried-up man - one of those people who wear a sweater and a muffler over starched white kurta-pajamas even in summer.
- You don't even need heavy woolens, as in Gulmarg you'll be able to hire snowboots, mufflers, woollen socks, windproof jackets and caps.
- In warm sunshine, Gould turned up in coat, beret, muffler and gloves, carrying his own collapsible piano stool.
- Waistcoats are everywhere, as are moustaches and mufflers, pipes and cigarettes.
- My God, the floor sagged under the weight of the parkas, sweaters, gloves, mufflers, and hats.
- Inside, gloves and mufflers are removed, quilted jackets are unzipped.
- The day of the party promises mittens and hats, mufflers and ski pants, toboggans and sleds.
- Holding children's coats and mufflers against the cold wintry night, they greet each other and exchange neighborhood gossip.
- Your new home will include a fireplace in the family room so that, after a day of sledding, the kids can warm chilled fingers and toes and hang soggy mittens and mufflers up to dry.
- Gloves and mittens, hats and mufflers littered the yard.
- Apart from their weight, driver comfort in those days usually meant a top coat, muffler and cap and you needed them, I assure you.
- On his hands was a pair of dark red, fingerless gloves, and around his neck was a black scarf, almost like a muffler.
- He was a tall, lean, dark man with an ebullient waxed moustache; around his head he wrapped a woolly muffler.
- He had wrapped himself well in muffler and shawl over jacket and kurta.
- If you'd rather look fresh as a daffodil, throw away your muffler, shake off the woolly hat and try these six simple, sexy looks.
- Senior citizens may be happy taking out their knitted caps and heavy mufflers but for the younger and more trendy, putting away those short-sleeves and polo shirts need not mean bundling up in shapeless clothes.
- When he owned Wimbledon, Sam Hammam made a habit of standing behind one of the goals during matches in his cloth cap and muffler.
- Pushing his chin deeper into the warmth of his muffler and pulling his jacket tighter around himself, he walked out of the house, and down the street.
- Suddenly, it's hip to wear a chunky sweater, muffler, or hat that looks as if your grandmother made it.
2.2(US) Motor vehiclessilenciador masculinemofle masculine Central America Mexico
- Numerous youngsters show off with their scooters and expensive racing motorcycles, which have no mufflers.
- What ever happened to the legal requirement for vehicles to have intact noise mufflers?
- Before long he reached the Avenue, where the relaxed residential noises were replaced by the roar of motorcycles and cars with bad mufflers.
- They enter the city at dusk and there is a terrible noise because there are no mufflers on the cars.
- Joshua drove a Triumph sports car with a hole in its muffler: ‘Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the land.’
- Battered cars would do their best to tear up the tarmac some more as they blatted past, mufflers long-gone.
- This was one of the moments I thanked God I didn't put one of those mufflers on my car that made my engine sound 3 times louder.
- I worried also about the nature of our neighborhood, which is a redneck Shangri-La of big dawgs, trucks with bad mufflers, heavily armed Gomers, and gangs of marauding feral boys with BB guns.
- This goes beyond normal loud mufflers (which seem to be common in Thailand!).
- In the case of the exhaust mufflers, titanium may offer greater service life than is offered by most materials.
- The EV1 driver points out that electric cars do not require the same kind of routine maintenance that combustion-engine cars and even hybrids do, like replacing mufflers, oil changes and smog checks.
- They never need oil changes, air filters, tune-ups, mufflers, timing belts, or emission tests.
- Trail bikes, cars and any machinery are a potential source of ignition so please ensure that mufflers are secure and flame proofed to avoid sparks igniting the countryside.
- The wire-mesh grilles at the mouth of the city's drainage creeks frequently fill with beer cans, shopping carts, car mufflers, push-chairs and dead animals.
- The Manufacturing divisions manufacture core components such as engines as well as some non-core components, such as mufflers.
- The local manufacturers of noisy car mufflers should take example from our Bajan neighbours and show more concern for noise pollution on our roadways, especially in residential areas.
- Stones echoed off the low undercarriage and flatulence from the holey muffler faded away down the road.
- Enveloped in that smell, I would play grown up and sit in the office sometimes, studiously recording the numbers of the vehicles that came in for work on the twin ramps over the six-foot-deep pit where the mufflers were installed.
- We hear the grader coming from the small community of Menggen down the road, scraping the track so people don't lose their mufflers on the way in.
- The gasoline engine, along with the muffler, catalytic converter, tailpipe and gas tank, were all removed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.