In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1atracador masculineatracadora feminine
- A mugger who snatched a woman's handbag as she made her way to work has been jailed just ten days after he committed the offence.
- A 15-year-old Guiseley School pupil has made his family proud this week after standing up to a mugger who attacked an elderly woman.
- Five years ago while walking near his London home he was attacked by muggers wielding machetes and suffered severe cuts to his hands.
- A gang of muggers attacked a man 6ft 8in tall and stole his mobile phone as he walked home after a night out in Trowbridge.
- A woman was attacked by a mugger who threatened to stab her if she didn't hand over her handbag.
- Like his brother, he was also a thief, pickpocket, mugger, robber, and arsonist, etc, but he didn't like killing people.
- You and your date get out of the car, keeping an eye out for muggers and murderers.
- A mugger who savagely attacked an 81-year-old man in Colchester escaped with just £4 in loose change.
- I am sure there are a lot more thieves, muggers and carjackers who could be dealt with the same way.
- He was one of the muggers that was attacking that woman.
- A passing couple saw the attack and chased the mugger, but he managed to get away.
- A disabled man was left bleeding on the ground with a double fracture of the skull after being attacked by a mugger.
- Politicians love to bash murderers, muggers and robbers because being ‘tough on crime’ is a popular stance.
- They are burglars, dealers, vandals, thugs, muggers, arsonists, a menace to society.
- In France, Britons are warned to look out for bag-snatchers, muggers, burglars and pickpockets, all targeting tourists.
- The muggers attacked me in a frigid, windswept, remote parking lot.
- Now, instead of concentrating on speeders and drivers jumping red lights, the officers will focus on muggers and thugs.
- An angry York mother has called for the return of her son's beloved BMX, which was snatched by two teenage muggers.
- A plucky mother-of-four tackled muggers who had snatched a handbag off a pensioner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.