In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(crime)atracos masculinemugging is on the increase — está aumentando el número de atracos
- Car theft, burglary, muggings and pick-pocketing are the most common crimes and sometimes it seems no amount of precautions will protect you.
- Chain snatchings, muggings and burglaries have become rampant.
- A crackdown on drug-related crime has been launched in areas of Leeds where residents have been plagued by burglary, theft and muggings.
- Some street crimes, like muggings, will just happen, and you will see them.
- Local radio news bulletins are jammed with reports of muggings and vicious petty criminals.
- There have been reports of recent attempted kidnappings, muggings and stabbings.
- Improved street lighting could reduce the amount of street violence, assaults, muggings, car thefts and burglaries, he said.
- It has also pushed up muggings and violent crime offences by 43% since its inception.
- Families are not able to move around because there have been muggings, kidnappings, rapes, murders, car thefts, armed robberies of homes and business.
- Similar increases occurred in other forms of armed robbery as well as in muggings and burglaries.
- There has been an increase in crime, especially muggings and murders.
- Nothing is more depressing than a never-ending litany of vandalism, muggings and burglaries.
- The priority is to drive down street crime - muggings, assaults, and disorderly behaviour.
- It's pathetic, I know, but then I also know that the vast majority of muggings, thefts and attacks could be avoided with some careful forethought.
- Why are consecutive governments refusing to admit that crime of all sorts, muggings, rapes, burglaries and murders, is out of control?
- Compared to places like Horsforth and Yeadon, the number of burglaries, muggings and robberies are very low.
- The crimes that affect most citizens, such as vandalism, muggings, burglary and car crimes, are considered low priority.
- The new policy has freed up impressive amounts of police time and money to fight other crime, halving muggings in the area.
- There have also been muggings and pickpockets in town.
- After years of decreasing numbers of pickpockets and purse snatchings, muggings are back on the rise.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.