In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As long back as the 13th century she preached non-violence, simple living and high thinking and became thus Lalla Arifa for Muhammadans and Lalleshwari for Hindus.
- Even the Mohammedan religion has failed to excite his ferocity.
- But I have a problem with some of your panelists, because I don't think Christ was a Christian, I don't think Buddha was a Buddhist, and I don't think that Mohammed was a Mohammedan.
- In contrast to the Christians, who persecuted not only pagans but each other, the Mohammedans were welcomed for their broadmindedness, and it was largely this that facilitated their conquests.
- Seventy per cent of the population was classified as Orthodox (including Old Believers), 11 per cent as Muhammadan, and 9 per cent as Catholics.
- The shrine of a Mohammedan saint which is at the present day neglected and forgotten by Mohammedans, is worshipped by Hindus!
- According to Uphof fruits preserved in cans, with salt water and sugar, are eaten by Muhammadan pilgrims during their journeys to Mecca.
- Do you know that more than 30,000 temples were converted into mosques during Mohammedan rule?
- Here one could cite the Jews and Mohammedans of the Middle East.
- There is nothing in the requirements of Masonry to prevent a Catholic, a Mohammedan, a Jew, a Buddhist, a Protestant, a Mormon, or any member of any religion from becoming a member.
- Another one, written in English and Arabic, was dedicated to the Muhammadan soldiers in Her Majesty's army who died while serving, and a third marker had nothing on it.
1mahometano masculinemahometana feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.