In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A new constitution, due later this year, is expected to enshrine multi-ethnic values.
- Clearly, this is a city obsessed with its own multi-ethnic mosaic and the cosmopolitan credibility it signifies.
- How do they cope with the inevitable tensions that arise in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-religious society?
- London is a very multi-ethnic and cosmopolitan place.
- It is certainly not, as is often assumed, an enlightened approach to running a multi-ethnic society.
- In our view that is simply not appropriate in an increasingly diverse, multi-ethnic society.
- Ethiopia is a multi-ethnic state with a history of ethnic division.
- The song would have to be multi-ethnic and multi-lingual so we can gain the support of the mainly immigrant communities in the other countries.
- China has always been a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, and multi-dialect nation.
- The UN has succeeded in organising elections, setting up local governing institutions and training a multi-ethnic police force.
- Can we build and strengthen a multi-ethnic army and security service before ethnic and tribal violence starts up again?
- There is an urgent need to improve the cross cultural validity of survey methods, particularly in multilingual, multi-ethnic societies
- It was all to the good, as well, that the complex reality of a multi-ethnic society was more or less honestly addressed.
- His vision of Sri Lanka was of a united island-nation, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-religious.
- But he also suggested the cinema could help bring social cohesion in today's multi-ethnic British society.
- North Sumatra was picked because it is a multi-ethnic region, and is regarded as having a central role in Western Indonesia.
- White communities too have embraced change and adjusted to a multi-ethnic society.
- Descendants and current members of this multi-ethnic working class continue to experience discrimination.
- We were multi-ethnic before the phrase was invented.
- They will defend the unity and integrity of the multi-ethnic state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.