In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In politics, the nation scored by managing the political transitions from multi-party politics to one party and back to multiparty.
- The rebels took up arms against the government in 1996 with the aim of ending Nepal's monarchy and multiparty political system.
- This crisis pressured the government into opening the political system and holding multiparty elections in 1992.
- The Western ideal for representative democracy involves free, multiparty elections and maintenance of civil liberties.
- Because of economic hardships and pressure from foreign countries, Kaunda eventually allowed for multiparty elections.
- Tension between the two regions increased after the introduction of a multiparty political system in the 1990s.
- In May 1994, a new constitution was approved, and then the first multiparty elections took place.
- While the king has asked for three years to restore a multiparty government, political parties launched a campaign calling for the return of power to the people.
- The change of regime in 1989 brought in a multiparty government and a parliamentary democracy with elected representatives.
- After a peaceful transition, the elections produced the first representative, multiparty National Assembly.
- Iceland has a multiparty parliamentary system, and there is a written constitution.
- By early 1992, several new parties had formed, and multiparty elections were held in December 1992.
- The difficult time was the transition from one party to multiparty politics, but this was successfully done fifteen years ago.
- It has changed from a communist dictatorship to a multiparty democracy in which officials are chosen in regular elections.
- The latter ended military rule in June 1991 and held multiparty elections, for which there were 44 eligible political parties.
- The head of state, the prime minister, is a member of the majority party in a multiparty system.
- By the time the first multiparty elections took place in April 1993, however, the country had already begun to fall apart.
- On January 3, 1990, he signed a law to re-establish a multiparty political system in Romania.
- A new National Assembly was elected in 1997, in relatively free multiparty elections.
- There is also multiparty legislative power vested in an eighty-member Parliament, whose members are elected to five-year terms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.