In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(involving many elements)múltiplemultiple birth — parto múltiple masculine
- multiple personality (disorder) — personalidad múltiple
- multiple pile-up — choque múltiple
- If you require a multiple user connection you will pay €152.
- Multiple cropping establishes a second crop in the same season that a first crop is harvested.
- He said the reason councillors voted against the change of use was because the premises are totally unsuitable for multiple occupancy.
- Third, there must be a causal connection between the multiple relationship and the impairment or risk.
- Friends, the multiple agency bill collection system in the city, has to be the most citizen-friendly outfit of the Government.
- To take one example, he says that every vaccination, single as well as multiple, carries a specific risk.
- It is my misfortune to be living in a street in which there are several houses in multiple occupation.
- The function of the banner-draped shading elements is multiple.
- There have been numerous reports of multiple voting on a large scale in the country.
- The inspection is based on a March 1999 agreement between the two countries to allow Washington multiple access to the suspected site.
- The organization used quiet diplomacy to work with Ontario's bureaucrats to promote multiple use of Quetico park.
- What follows is that you would then have different rules in relation to multiple publication in different States.
2(many)múltiplesmultiple errors — múltiples errores
- Because children have different learning styles and multiple ways of knowing, they must be encouraged to find the form that best fits their individual styles.
- However, the risk of side effects increases when multiple medications are used.
- The online service allows customers to retrieve, at the click of a mouse, information that used to take days to collect from multiple sources.
- The data were collected from multiple sites in the Midwest, however, which increased the reliability and generalizability of these data.
- This book, like the earlier accounts, acknowledges that multiple elements were at work in secularizing higher education.
- No other hockey family can make that claim, and neither can any family with multiple members in the baseball, basketball, or football halls.
- The season's riches also offer a chance to see favorite actors tackling very different roles in multiple movies.
- I don't much care for members who serve on multiple boards.
- Vicky had spent those four hours talking to other crew members about multiple topics; she had been extremely bored during those four hours.
- Ms W complied with her daily regimen of medications but was not prepared for the multiple side effects that occurred.
- The frequency of multiple mating in the population was first calculated using all clutches.
- The financial sector is a much different story, with multiple levels of lending and intermediation dictating that analysis is at least as much art as science.
- Today, many children are being raised by multiple partners in different environments other than the home, including child care centers.
- Even when larger corporate aircraft arrive, staff are obliged to use only small vans, requiring multiple trips to collect passengers and crew.
- Conversations between therapist and family members, and among multiple families began, slowly at first, and then became livelier.
- Thus we see multiple members of Congress talking about the Social security ‘surplus’.
- Non-standard usages, like multiple negation, are sometimes attacked on the same grounds.
- Beard and Quann collected multiple medals in 1996 and 2000, respectively.
- All the members were charged with multiple counts of armed robbery, and murder.
- The title track, which opens the album, slowly introduces the multiple elements of this work, reverently contrasting them to establish a perfect balance of impressions.
- Do-it-yourself videoconferencing may be better suited for team members who work in multiple locations.
- If members ask multiple questions, they run the risk of Ministers answering the parts that they regard as less important.
- Discussing each article and generating multiple perspectives from group members was very important in this process.
1múltiplo masculinein multiples of 5 — en múltiplos de cinco
- It is affecting people who are struggling, and wondering how they can ever buy a house on their income when land prices have gone to a multiple of three or four times the average wage.
- But when poor countries export to rich ones this goes up by a multiple of five.
- It may be a multiple of earnings or a percentage of sales or whatever.
- This is to make each round consist of 86 points, 1 more than a multiple of five.
- Each line is obtained by adding a certain multiple of its predecessor to the one before that.
- The overall value of these firms, which continue to grow, is a multiple of this figure.
- Not only does this put their own lives at risk but it increases the chances of death of a front seat occupant by a multiple of five.
- Primitive Pythagorean triangles are a bit like prime numbers in that every integer is either prime or a multiple of a prime.
- Any other number that leaves a remainder of 0 when divided by 7 must be a multiple of 7, so it can't be a prime.
- She told me that she feels that if she doesn't take a number of steps which is a multiple of five, that she can cause some harm to come to her brother Michael.
- Is the total amount of cash on hand a multiple of 3?
- However, the overall value of these firms would be a multiple of this figure.
- But if the hospital were sold it would fetch a multiple of that figure.
- Another statistic charts CEO pay at Fortune 100 companies as a multiple of the average pay of workers at the same firms.
- By this time next year expect the percentage to be a multiple of that.
- After all, a multiple of 14 or 15 times operating profit is your standard newspaper rule of thumb.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.