In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informal(silence)mum's the word — ¡punto en boca! informal
1(silent)to keep mum — no decir ni pío informal
- The deep green fine-textured foliage of mums is remarkably aromatic, lending a distinctive ambience to the containers in which they are planted.
- When my primroses have served their cheerful spring purpose, it will be easy to replace them with pots of other colorful summer favorites such as mums, asters, or a geranium.
- Then the first cold front rolls in, slays the mums, frosts the lawn, whistles down the chimney and signals the reign of the new season.
- Saint Mary's Church was decorated with pink and white mums.
- A hollowed pumpkin is a fitting place to tuck a small pot of mums or an arrangement of fresh or dried flowers.
- Jaws gaped, dessert was quickly served, and the topic moved to something like the appropriate watering time for mums.
- Put tall plants behind short ones and plan to have continuous color from the first flowering bulbs of early spring to hardy mums, which will withstand a light frost.
- Autumn's butterflies - fritillaries and migrating monarchs - match the burnt-orange mums just beginning to bloom.
- Whether you want to compete or simply collect mums, the National Chrysanthemum Society has 43 chapters across the country.
- Pumpkins, bales of hay, mums in colors that mimic the trees, a few scarecrows and a wooden black cat complete the package.
- Garden mums give us a burst of color in the fall when used to replace the annuals we have enjoyed since spring.
- Autumn-colored mums, pink carnations and fucshia orchids lining the streets.
- The flower lady buffed the bouquet out with orchids, mums, other fragrant weird blooms I don't know the names of, and various greens.
- However, if you live in a climate with winters marked by regular hard freezes, you can improve your mums ' winter survival by cutting off tops after new growth begins in spring.
- She wasn't my real mother - my real mum died when she had me - but I called her my mama.
- A defiant single mum plans to create a haven for her children and their friends to rebuild community spirit after standing up to nuisance neighbours.
- Her comparison of older mothers to teenage mums and her call for government intervention is likely to prove highly controversial.
- His mum was a single mother who had a succession of boyfriends, none of whom were able to act as a father figure to him or his sister Denise.
- ‘I like to do the mum thing and help out at school and you cannot do that when you are working full time,’ she says.
- Was I jumping to conclusions thinking of my mum as a careless mother?
- When my mum spoke it was more scary than receiving a beating.
- Like his mum - and her mother before her - Tom suffers from aura migraines.
- Here we speak to a first-time mum, a mother of four and that other essential to baby-making, a father, about their experiences of life after childbirth.
- They are the ultimate ‘new men’, happy to gossip at the school gates with the mums while their own child's mother is out at work pursuing her career and bringing in the family income.
- As much as the vast majority of people adore their mums, mums are still one of the most frustrating and annoying creatures to walk this planet.
- The Robinson girls not only learned how to grow vegetables but also, thanks to the expert tutelage of mum Joan, how to cook them.
- His mum Shirley was a devout Christian woman, a Methodist, just a touch humourless but endlessly patient, kind and smiling.
- These results are great news for all mums, but working mums will feel particularly reassured.
- Recalling his hospital visits in his mother's last days, Hugh writes about how he made his beloved mum laugh by wearing her bedpan as a hat and blowing up surgical gloves to resemble udders.
- Despite their loss, her mum Patti and family have now thrown themselves into raising cash for research into the rare disease.
- My mum lives in Scotland and she thinks I'm a star.
- If your mum clicked with their mum then you would have a new friend whether you liked it or not!
- I am a working mum living in a rural village 17 km from Lismore.
- But with my youngest daughter, we took the initiative and named her after Mum's mother's mum, Asantewaa.
1Britishinformal(mother)mamá feminine informalfeminine mamá
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.