In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1it's all mumbo jumbo to me — me suena todo a chino informal
- legal mumbo jumbo — jerigonza legal
- religion, he said, was a lot of mumbo jumbo — dijo que la religión no era más que paparruchas
- Effie is at Dundee University, caught up in women's liberation meetings, Socialist Worker Party sit-ins and the incomprehensible ramblings of her tutors to explain the art of the novel in terms of post-structuralist mumbo-jumbo.
- But the programs aimed at putting these guys to work, according to the documents I'm looking at, are woefully underfunded and getting held up by the same old interagency mumbo-jumbo.
- But one works on it for so long that all sorts of psychological mumbo-jumbo gets bound up in it.
- This may sound like futuristic mumbo-jumbo, and I happily confess that I wrote the preceding paragraph with an eye to catching your attention, even if only by the somewhat dangerous route of courting your immediate disapproval!
- It was if he was teasing me with the start of a question, then regressing into mumbo-jumbo just to confuse me.
- It's all mumbo-jumbo, ancient rituals that for some extraordinary reason we've stuck with.
- Don't tell me you actually believe in that sailor mumbo-jumbo.
- Could you imagine how you would feel if you visited your doctor and he started to spout some mumbo-jumbo about your ‘humours’ being out of balance, and how the best course was for you to be purged and bled?
- All that is historic mumbo-jumbo as Indonesia now turns the corner and heads for a future that could well be the envy of many.
- So, in spite of what I wrote above, I don't think we should get ourselves caught up in some sort of legal mumbo-jumbo legal definition of what ‘identify’ means.
- But that's all insider mumbo-jumbo which is really neither here nor there.
- I don't think he is looking for handouts, just someone to shine a path for him through all the jargon and technical mumbo-jumbo.
- Cast away all that mumbo-jumbo new age ideas one might have about meditation.
- Because that's when mumbo-jumbo has taken over from reason.
- Eventually, I'm told, maps will be rendered redundant by Global Positioning Systems, which will mark a triumph of science over mumbo-jumbo.
- The clear distinction between right and wrong has been lost in sociological mumbo-jumbo and politically correct nonsense.
- Little wonder that people switch off, or regard it as simply mumbo-jumbo.
- That's because lenders continue to rely on what I call ‘confusion marketing’ - using financial mumbo-jumbo and an array of different deals to baffle us!
- We'll worry about the legal mumbo-jumbo later, but expect the menu to remain the same.
- If you don't understand all of the pseudo-psychological/philosophical mumbo-jumbo, you haven't missed the point.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.