In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On the same day, the municipal council broke down in half an hour in similar circumstances.
- The refurbished house was among municipal properties the council had wanted to be sold.
- The turnout, in fact, was nearly double that in the municipal elections a year ago.
- At that time, they thought of it as a symbol of care from the municipal government.
- The mayor is obliged to follow decisions made by the municipal council and to report to it.
- The savage reduction in town hall powers has increased the inclination to use the municipal vote as a protest.
- Lack of transport and funds for the city and municipal councils lead to huge piles of garbage.
- The powers given to a municipal government must be exercised for the purpose for which they are given.
- You can see the social and psychological reasons underlying municipal policies.
- Schools and municipal offices were closed to enable pupils and employees to attend.
- I think everyone who was working on the higher floors at the municipal offices felt it.
- The municipal government has been taking steps to solve the city's housing problems.
- They work mainly in the municipal administration and are in a position of authority.
- Curbs on municipal power resulted in part from concerns about public subsidies to railways.
- To top it off, the last two municipal elections have barely produced an effective council.
- The council confirmed that the land in question is held as an endowment for municipal purposes.
- If your focus is a local issue, your municipal planning department may be able to help.
- The normal procedure is that the complaint can be lodged at any municipal office.
- Presently there is a prior city bylaw banning smoking in all municipal buildings.
- The electricity industry is currently largely under state and municipal control.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.