In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Painting traditionally was done in tempera in the form of murals on temple walls as well as on cloth and paper.
- Saturn is one of the so called Black Paintings - murals Goya painted on the walls of his home near Madrid.
- Games have been painted on the playgrounds and murals on the walls.
- Traditional murals are painted directly onto the wall and so are not at all flexible.
- You can see some contemporary murals on the walls of the buildings behind.
- The walls of its entryway have murals depicting scenes honoring the Spanish and Mayan heritages.
- Impossible to miss from the walls are the vast murals that adorn the sides of buildings in the Protestant and Catholic areas.
- His house became a treasure trove and even his attic walls were covered with murals which he created by candlelight.
- He has also executed murals in ceramic and glass tiles as well as on wall and ceilings.
- Very few of Klimt's paintings were done on canvases, as he preferred to paint murals.
- His work, often in the form of large murals, painted in situ, has a hard - edged, modern feel.
- About fifty murals depicting Narcissus survive from Pompeii alone.
- The sixth gallery has a fine collection of Madhubani paintings put up on a mud wall as murals.
- This could include both structural and superficial changes, such as the wall murals and graffiti.
- His murals aimed to convert the illiterate and heterogeneous masses to a realization of the miseries and futilities of war.
- In the late 1930s he also painted several murals under the auspices of the Federal Art Project.
- He repaired the old monastery church and adorned it with murals painted in the fresco technique typical of the time.
- She spent much of her time in the school's hallways creating murals on the walls.
- A shaft of sunlight illuminates the room briefly, bringing the bright colours of the murals on the walls into sharp relief.
- Throughout the twenties, his fame grew with a number of large murals depicting scenes from Mexican history.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.