In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(killing)asesinato masculineLaw homicidio masculineto commit murder — cometer un asesinato / un crimen
- the murder of a policeman — el asesinato de un policía
- to get away with murder
- she lets them get away with murder — les permite cualquier cosa
- to scream bloody / blue murder — (become angry) poner el grito en el cielo
- murder charge — acusación de asesinato / homicidio
- murder squad — brigada de homicidios
- murder trial — juicio por asesinato
- murder victim — víctima de asesinato / homicidio
- the murder weapon — el arma homicida / del crimen
2(something unpleasant)to be murder — ser la muerte
- the traffic was murder — el tráfico era la muerte
- it was murder in town with so many tourists — la ciudad estaba imposible con tanto turista
1(kill)asesinarmatarif I catch that kid I'll murder him! — ¡como agarre a ese chico, lo mato!
3informal(devour)I could really murder a beer — ¡qué no daría por una cerveza!
- Those guns would have been destined to be used in murders, robberies or kidnappings.
- They were involved in numerous murders, assaults, rapes and robberies and if you crossed their path you were unlikely to emerge without a few broken bones.
- While its initial remit was to take on drug gangs, the agency now deals with all forms of major organised crime, helping investigate murders, kidnappings, extortion and robbery.
- An epidemic of criminal activities, murders, revenge killings and gang turf battles has resulted.
- Its members are unsurpassed at stopping murders, rapes, robberies, burglaries and other violent crimes.
- Since last June there have been 45 assassinations, 37 kidnappings and nine attempted murders, according to the report.
- From muggings to murders, recent crime patterns show citizens returning home from office or an outing late in the night have become soft targets of the men on prowl.
- The ring specialised in contract murders, abductions, explosions, racketeering and other terrorist activities.
- Murders and attempted murders of state officials became almost routine, preoccupying and slowing down state administrators and inviting reprisals or, at least, harsh policies.
- Where crime is concerned there is a lot of talk about who the criminals are, and where they live, and what is going to be done to reduce the kidnappings, murders and other criminal activities.
- I got so tired of watching the news because of all the kidnappings and rapes and murders and theft that filled that channel and I wanted to help put an end to it.
- Among them were 646 cases of physical assault resulting in injury, and eight attempted murders but no actual murders.
- They argue that even if all those on death row were to be hanged, the killings and murders would still continue, and may very well increase despite the hangings.
- However, we are not to be forgotten; our voice will be heard as we speak out against the horrendous rapes, kidnappings and murders polluting our paradise.
- Speaking of murder, remember that not all homicides are murders and that murder carries a specific legal meaning.
- I must emphasise we need to question this man regarding the murder and two attempted murders of police officers in Leeds.
- We have laws on murder, but, tragically, we still have murders and killings in this country.
- The country has the highest number of murders, rapes, hijackings and violent robberies in the world.
- By the end of the year there were 129 killings, murders, assassinations, crossfire victims, accidents and unexplained deaths.
- What if all the cities in the US were wracked by a crime wave, with thousands of murders, kidnappings, burglaries, and carjackings in every major city every year?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.