In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(killing)asesinato masculineLaw homicidio masculineto commit murder — cometer un asesinato / un crimen
- the murder of a policeman — el asesinato de un policía
- murder charge — acusación de asesinato / homicidio
- murder squad — brigada de homicidios
- murder trial — juicio por asesinato
- murder victim — víctima de asesinato / homicidio
- the murder weapon — el arma homicida / del crimen
- The country has the highest number of murders, rapes, hijackings and violent robberies in the world.
- Its members are unsurpassed at stopping murders, rapes, robberies, burglaries and other violent crimes.
- The ring specialised in contract murders, abductions, explosions, racketeering and other terrorist activities.
- From muggings to murders, recent crime patterns show citizens returning home from office or an outing late in the night have become soft targets of the men on prowl.
- Among them were 646 cases of physical assault resulting in injury, and eight attempted murders but no actual murders.
- What if all the cities in the US were wracked by a crime wave, with thousands of murders, kidnappings, burglaries, and carjackings in every major city every year?
- However, we are not to be forgotten; our voice will be heard as we speak out against the horrendous rapes, kidnappings and murders polluting our paradise.
- Murders and attempted murders of state officials became almost routine, preoccupying and slowing down state administrators and inviting reprisals or, at least, harsh policies.
- While its initial remit was to take on drug gangs, the agency now deals with all forms of major organised crime, helping investigate murders, kidnappings, extortion and robbery.
- Where crime is concerned there is a lot of talk about who the criminals are, and where they live, and what is going to be done to reduce the kidnappings, murders and other criminal activities.
- They were involved in numerous murders, assaults, rapes and robberies and if you crossed their path you were unlikely to emerge without a few broken bones.
- Speaking of murder, remember that not all homicides are murders and that murder carries a specific legal meaning.
- They argue that even if all those on death row were to be hanged, the killings and murders would still continue, and may very well increase despite the hangings.
- Since last June there have been 45 assassinations, 37 kidnappings and nine attempted murders, according to the report.
- We have laws on murder, but, tragically, we still have murders and killings in this country.
- I must emphasise we need to question this man regarding the murder and two attempted murders of police officers in Leeds.
- An epidemic of criminal activities, murders, revenge killings and gang turf battles has resulted.
- I got so tired of watching the news because of all the kidnappings and rapes and murders and theft that filled that channel and I wanted to help put an end to it.
- By the end of the year there were 129 killings, murders, assassinations, crossfire victims, accidents and unexplained deaths.
- Those guns would have been destined to be used in murders, robberies or kidnappings.
2(something unpleasant)to be murder — ser la muerte informal
- the traffic was murder — había un tráfico terrible
- it was murder in town with so many tourists — la ciudad estaba imposible con tanto turista
1(kill)asesinarmatarif I catch that kid I'll murder him! — ¡como agarre a ese chico, lo mato!
- This confrontation could increase the probability of him becoming angry and murdering or assaulting her.
- A mother has spoken out against gun crime after seeing the man accused of murdering her son walk free from court.
- A cheating husband accused of murdering his wife and children 27 years ago told a jury yesterday: ‘I miss them to this day.’
- Judy thought about if someone had murdered the person who killed her family.
- Within weeks, around 500,000 people were brutally murdered or killed in action, mostly by the Hutu army.
- A young woman in a close ethnic community, who had fallen in love with a Swedish man, was murdered by her father.
- The former lover of a pensioner accused of murdering his wife and children 27 years ago said she did not give police vital information because she couldn't believe he would harm anyone.
- Because she was so badly decomposed, police have been unable to tell if she was murdered or killed herself.
- I want the people who calculatingly and brutally murder others to pay severely for their heinous crimes.
- He killed and murdered a dozen women the police know of and twenty others we know of.
- He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to murder persons unknown and to possession of weapons and ammunition.
- His family believe that a factor in his disappearance could be the upcoming anniversary of the death of his father, who was murdered 15 years ago by an armed robber.
- But to this day they too will never know why a seemingly loving husband murdered his wife before killing himself.
- Generally, we hold that there's no crime worse than murder, and we punish it more harshly than we do anything else.
- My father was kidnapped and murdered last year.
- In 2001, a further 43 people were murdered, 32 kidnapped and 219 assaulted.
- Police believe the victim may not have even seen the assassin who murdered him with a single shot to the back.
- He refuses to believe his father has been murdered, instead saying he has probably fled Bradford.
- My mother, sister, and other brother had perished of malnutrition, starvation, and illness, and my father had been murdered.
- Scientific tests on stains found in the bathroom at the home of a drug addict accused of murdering a pensioner, gave a mixed DNA profile of both the man on trial and the pensioner, a jury heard yesterday.
2(ruin)(music/play) destrozar(play/music) masacrar humorous
- I mean you wouldn't say, God I'm famished, I could murder a fruit juice.
- I am a cakey kind of person - squishy and sweet and sort of sickly after too much - and I could murder a brownie right about now…
- But Portofino still lacked its very own song: one that could be murdered nightly in those dolce vita bars and restaurants.
- They'd have been better off giving it to the cook not to murder the cuisines of countries that have already suffered so much.
- The great outdoors murders a fine wine's bouquet and strong-tasting barbecue fare ruins the restrained, delicate flavours of expensive bottles.
- Sometimes I could murder a slab of chocolate but I don't.
3informal(devour)I could really murder a beer — ¡con qué gusto me tomaría una cerveza!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.