In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This includes, above all, the development of the academic field of musicology but also musical pedagogy and private music making.
- Finally, it is an excellent reference and great resource book for research into several other areas of the vast field of music performance, musicology and sociology.
- Modern musicology has changed our opinions on how this music ‘should’ be performed.
- Authors include composers, performers and professors of technology, musicology, anthropology and science.
- I have taught, researched and published in literature, sociology, film studies, cultural history, musicology and folk tradition.
- In the literature of musicology, the authenticity question focuses on the relation between performer and composition.
- The creative possibilities for thinking about postmodern ethnic and racial identity are currently betrayed by the continuing elitism of ethnic scholarship, musicology, and academic discourse.
- She will be studying musicology, the history of music, at the prestigious New York university and had to compete against 60 other candidates to gain full funding for the five-year course.
- The most recent development in this story of musicology, aesthetics, and dysfunctional personalities, is the mix of modern instrumentation with an historically informed approach to music-making.
- The largest and most important was the book on Wagner, which he had been working on and thinking about for many years and which in his own mind he saw as the work that would be his defining contribution to musicology.
- He studied at the Prague Conservatory and at the Academy of Musical Arts, concurrently studying philosophy and musicology at the university.
- Of course, current musicology is already addressing the same questions of how music and its contexts are related.
- If understanding music in the sense of interpreting it in worldly terms, the mandate of cultural musicology, is to get anywhere, what it has to do is reorient the problem of interpretive distance.
- He has degrees in theology, musicology and philosophy.
- Not only has he explored the potential of diverse theoretical approaches - taking inspiration from the fields of linguistics, art history, and musicology, amongst others - but has put these into practice as well.
- Cultural Studies, it should be said at once, are everywhere these days, not only in sociology and anthropology but in politics, history, the higher journalism, the arts, science, sport - and now musicology.
- This is hardly conventional musicology, but it tells us a great deal that we need to know.
- I don't see anyone radically evaluating the various strands of American musicology that have been allowed to dominate, though I realise that to do this would give a peculiar problem.
- Backed, in the early days at least, by a farsighted, philanthropic publisher, and harnessing the possibilities afforded by new technology as they became available, he brought musicology into the modern era.
- Rather, that experience has been contextualised, since musicology could hardly exist without the symbiosis between short-term experience and long-term reflection in which the enjoyment of music is founded.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.