In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mejillón masculinebefore noun mussel bed — criadero de mejillones masculine
- mussel shell — concha de mejillón
- Four or five minutes later, add the clams, then the mussels and prawns, and stir in the saffron strands.
- When everything is boiling, put in the bag of mussels and boil for 2 minutes.
- Press the shells of any open mussels together with your fingers; if they don't close, throw them away.
- Add the vegetables, watercress and shelled mussels and clams to this, season to taste and serve.
- When cool enough to handle, slip the mussels from their shells and set aside.
- Shell the mussels, watching out for any reluctant beards, and discard any that aren't open.
- I started with mussels, tiger prawns and scallops in a light fish broth flavoured with Chinese spices.
- Why couldn't they be farmed, like oysters, or grown on ropes, like mussels?
- Think of molluscs and chances are it is shellfish such as limpets, whelks, scallops and mussels that spring to mind.
- Remove the mussels with a draining spoon and transfer to warm bowls.
- Fresh mussels, also known as poor man's oysters for their cheap abundance, are marvellous at this time of year.
- Meanwhile Andrew lived simply on a diet of mussels and whelks and the occasional boiled crab that bubbled in the pot.
- Scrub the mussels and clams, discarding any whose shells are gaping open or seem lifeless when you squeeze them.
- To this she added most of a can of tomatoes and a touch of cream, and the mussels were put in to steam.
- The shop also has a wide range of seafood including tiger prawns, mussels, sea bream and breaded crab claws.
- Remove the heads and shells from the prawns and shell the mussels.
- Extract the meat from most of the mussels and discard the shells.
- We ate fish soup, mussels, oysters, skate in brown butter and my aunt's tomato salad.
- I actually like rocks because you can find lots of stuff in them like mussels and crabs and shellfish.
- Soak the clams and the mussels in a big pot of cold water for an hour or two.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.