In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But now that he is dead, his body mutilated almost beyond recognition, it seems right to recall what he said.
- Press reports said the bodies had been deliberately mutilated.
- David says his aunt and uncle were killed as they tried to escape and their bodies were mutilated.
- How is it right to encourage people to mutilate their bodies?
- Identification was proving difficult because some of the bodies were severely mutilated.
- He slashed her throat with a knife then mutilated her body and face.
- He said the second person killed, whose body was severely mutilated, may have been the man carrying the bomb.
- They were both killed a few days later and their bodies mutilated.
- Police also said several of the corpses had their faces badly mutilated from the gunshot wounds.
- When the sisters' father went to the morgue to check, he found his daughter had not only been killed, but her body had been horrifically mutilated.
- According to the police the face of the slain person was hit with a boulder and it was badly mutilated.
- Once again, scenes of explosions and mutilated bodies are back in our streets.
- Many of the bodies were so mutilated that identification was difficult.
- There was a moment's pause, a profuse apology, then they resumed their efforts to mutilate the body.
- Two of the dead were so badly mutilated no one had been able to identify them and they lay unclaimed, he said.
- The bodies of the victims were mutilated beyond recognition.
- The military rounded up tens of thousands of people, torturing and mutilating many of the prisoners.
- He is one of Scotland's most revered monarchs yet his body was mutilated and his head used as a football by the English foe.
- ‘It kills the living, destroys their flesh and mutilates the bodies of those already dead,’ he says.
- You also mutilated the dead bodies of our soldiers and treated them with indescribable indignities.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.