In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dog)chucho masculine informalgozque masculine Colombia informalquiltro masculine Chile informalpichicho masculine River Plate informal
- Most dog breeds are highly inbred and therefore the level of homogeneity is greater in purebred dogs than in mutts.
- It's a shame that not everyone has a dog, whether a mutt or a pedigree.
- Penny normally gets her run of the yard while the other three mutts stay in the pen (because they attack her).
- He's done a whole lot of paintings of pooches - yappy dogs, poodles, some mutts and a few bulldogs.
- When Malcolm came to town, though, all but the stupidest mutts decided it was time for a vacation.
- Gourmet dog food will transform your cantankerous mutt into an obedient show dog.
- So they opened up the event to mutts and mongrels too, with categories like Most Appealing Eyes.
- The offspring of a mating between two purebred dogs of different breeds is a mongrel, a mutt.
- This is like taking a pure breed dog and intentionally cross breeding with a mutt.
- His face was turning redder by the minute, and he yelled, ‘The stupid mutt peed on me!’
- The dog was a mutt that looked like a cross between a sheepdog and a poodle.
- You'll remember the rather dubious story that these two mutts spent $8,000 on drinks.
- Like a mutt from the dog pound, she had a hodgepodge pedigree that underwhelmed.
- I think we'll probably take another look at some purebred options, but I'm also going to try to reintroduce the idea of a rescue dog or a mutt from a shelter.
- Your brand of beer, the artwork on your walls, your choice of dog - a pure-bred poodle as opposed to a mutt - are all potential status details.
- I stuffed the mite-sized mutt - such a small dog, really - into my grocery basket and pedaled back to the farm.
- Her attack dog is a mutt, and, as everyone knows, mongrels are healthier than pedigreed dogs.
- Whether that same approach - giving the journalistic mutts as little to chew on as possible - will work in the general election campaign is another story.
- We took her home and introduced her to our other dog, Pam, the mutt, affectionately named by me in honor of my mom's best friend.
- Other dogs sit tethered to benches, and occasionally woof at competing mutts, but Jasper whines and barks the entire time.
- Landing a one-night contract for $10, the pair quickly acquired two stray mutts.
- Many of these dogs are mutts and shelter dogs whom people gave up on, and were rescued themselves.
- The dog's deep brown eyes examined the mutt for a moment.
- And if he says yes to you, what does he say to every other mutt who ever wanted a place to call his own?
- I'm not as stupid as you mutts in this alley make me out to be.
2(person)memo masculine informalmema feminine informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.