In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The occurrence of precious metal vessels suited to drinking appears to confirm that Mycenaean convivial habits favored exclusion rather than cohesion.
- The study of feasting on the Greek mainland during the Middle and Late Bronze Age provides insights into the nature of Mycenaean society.
- It was during this period that Minoan civilization of Crete and the Mycenean civilization of mainland Greece flourished.
- In contrast to practices associated with Minoan feasts, service and distribution in Mycenaean feasts had a completely different status.
- In contrast, Mycenaean feasting on the Greek mainland seems to have arisen from elite customs aimed at exclusion.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.