In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mina femininemasculine mainato
- Soil can be seeded within monoculture grass, or trees can be planted widely apart so that they do not become roosts for mynas and starlings.
- We could observe a couple of endangered hill mynas among other species.
- Sparrows, starlings, Indian mynahs and feral pigeons rarely visit Australian gardens, which welcome an array of colourful native birds.
- There are even a few rare records of mynas attacking people.
- Despite my positive emotional response to talking animals, I've never taught an animal to speak, not even a parrot or a mynah.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.