In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mitología feminineNorse/Greek mythology — la mitología nórdica/griega
- For example, Artemis and Diana is the same goddess but are of two mythologies.
- I've always been interested in the ancient American mythologies of the Inca, Maya, and Aztec, and the ancient mythos of the Greeks and Egyptians.
- The legend of the lost continent or island of Atlantis occurs in the mythologies of many parts of Europe.
- One of the best known of the Greek mythologies is the tale of Icarus.
- Now in many other mythologies you can find gods that have parallels with Athena.
- In ancient Greek mythology, images of snakes are generally evil and scary, like the Hydra, a large snake with nine heads.
- After breakfast he strolls through deserted lanes before retiring to his drawing room to read about archaeology, Greek mythology, and biographies.
- The idea that the universe had a beginning is common to various religions and mythologies.
- Sacrifice is a universal religious act, one closely associated with the mythologies of particular traditions.
- Tonight she will consider the differing beliefs and customs relating to death practices from a selection of cultures and mythologies.
- Many mythologies seem to feature an apocalyptic or transformational event that will occur at the ‘end of history’.
- There are numerous mythologies in which the God is sacrificed as grain or as vegetation in general to feed the people.
- Such views stem from the fact that some famous characters from Ancient Greek mythology have their origins in Thrace.
- Pilgrims are treated to plays enacted from stories of Hindu mythology, featuring the well known adventures of gods and heroes.
- Dragons are winged beings portrayed in the ancient mythologies of most cultures.
- We can see its beginnings in Greek mythology with the story of Prometheus.
- These books are the primary source for our knowledge of the most ancient Indian mythology, forming the basis for the development of Hinduism.
- In the mythologies that have come down to us, many cultures express this as a sexual union.
- Ancient mythologies preserved this knowledge in story form.
- The history of ancient Greece and Greek mythology that I studied in high school and college all came alive for me on this trip.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.