In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The rabbit disease myxomatosis had finally reached the area, with an outbreak on the moors above Settle.
- The situation has become so dire that some of Bedfordshire's farmers are calling for the reintroduction of myxomatosis.
- We get a lot of calls asking if we can home unwanted bunnies, but we can't, partly because of the dangers of disease, such as myxomatosis, to our own.
- It worked well with myxomatosis on rabbits, and cactoblastis on prickly pears.
- He only ever caught one blind old rabbit its eyes clouded over with myxomatosis.
- At the moment in the country we are hearing reports of myxomatosis among rabbits.
- There is a vaccine available for myxomatosis, which can be given from six weeks of age.
- The problem could arise if this population suddenly vanished, as it has done in the past due to myxomatosis.
- That arose because myxomatosis is a pox virus disease.
- The club noted that the red squirrel was an increasingly rare sight but no-one had spotted a grey squirrel and the arrival of the rabbit disease myxomatosis in the area had not been noticed.
- The outbreak of myxomatosis was in full swing after arriving in Craven.
- A potential solution to the rabbit problem was found, in the form of a virus that causes a rabbit disease called myxomatosis.
- Before the onslaught of myxomatosis in the 1970s, rabbit was a common cheap food source used by all classes.
- Owners of pet and show rabbits were advised to have their animals inoculated against myxomatosis or cover their hutches with buttered muslin.
- As the weather gets warmer the fatal disease myxomatosis spreads faster.
- The country people were shunning the fruit because flies, which settled on dead rabbits with myxomatosis, also alighted on brambles.
- We know that germs develop an immunity to antibiotics, insects develop resistance to insecticides, rabbits develop resistance to myxomatosis.
- It seemed only a matter of time before the ‘grim’ disease of myxomatosis struck Craven.
- Before myxomatosis, rabbit stews and pies were everyday fare in Britain.
- The success of myxomatosis in controlling rabbit numbers brought new public prestige, and a detailed program of wool research was undertaken.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.