In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her nakedness, though, is well camouflaged by a veil of long curly hair falling on her shoulders.
- It's more brazen, more shot through with the raw ache of relationships and the nakedness of emotional experience.
- This is turning into a sporting season of nakedness.
- Adam and Eve were mortified by what their nakedness represented.
- I wasn't and still am not very comfortable with my own nakedness.
- Just as we do not shop for clothes just to cover our nakedness, nor eat just to fill the gap, so we don't buy sunglasses merely for the purposes of protecting our eyes.
- The truth is, the prevalence of nakedness is such that we no longer even remark on seeing a nice girl in a bikini.
- The all seemed shocked by her destroying her property and doing it so very thoroughly, that they seemed positively oblivious to her nakedness.
- Her youth and nakedness, which at times is accentuated by a circlet of flowers worn in her hair, is emblem enough.
- I shift into a sitting position, making sure the sheets cover my nakedness.
- In the astounding nakedness of its indifference to the life of its own poor, the government has therefore left itself visible, questionable.
- In Tibetan iconography, physical nakedness symbolizes this naked unbounded state of mind.
- Of course, there's much more to his art than just nakedness.
- To see another's nakedness when bathing was not forbidden in the temple.
- Surely the ultimate equaliser is not nakedness but clothing, which lets us be who we want to be, not merely the body with which we've been lumbered?
- It all lies in how taboo nakedness is in our society.
- Henceforth, men and women are prone to view each other as objects, which is why they are now ashamed of their nakedness.
- The figure, in its nakedness, has an almost ghostly, insubstantial quality, a pathetic vulnerability.
- Spinning around, I noticed my nakedness, the goose pimples on my warm flesh.
- It becomes very much about nakedness, vulnerability and intimacy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.