In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine nombremasculine apellidowhat's your name? — ¿cuál es su nombre? formal
- my name is John Baker — me llamo John Baker
- what name shall I say? — (announcing arrival) ¿a quién debo anunciar?
- the name's Smith — me llamo Smith
- a woman by the name of Green — una mujer llamada Green
- the victim was not mentioned by name — no se dio el nombre de la víctima
- one of those bullets had my name on it — una de esas balas iba dirigida a mí
- he knows them all by name — los conoce a todos por su nombre
- I only know her by name — la ubico solo de nombre
- she goes by / under the name of Shirley Lane — se hace llamar Shirley Lane
- he writes under the name (of) … — escribe bajo el seudónimo de …
- the house is in her husband's name — la casa está a nombre de su marido
- he started out without a penny to his name — empezó sin un centavo
- he doesn't have a penny to his name — no tiene dónde caerse muerto
- mentioning / to mention no names — sin mencionar a nadie
- to take sb's name — sacarle la tarjeta a algn
- they've put the baby's name down for the local school — ya han apuntado al niño en el colegio de la zona
- he's put his name down for a transfer — ha solicitado un traslado
- I'll fix him or my name's not Ted Simpson — como que me llamo Ted Simpson que a ese lo arreglo yo
- my/her/his name is mud
- my name is mud in that place — allí soy persona non grata
- to call sb names — insultar a algn
- to name names — dar nombres
- At age ten I refused to take a saint's name as part of my name for the holy confirmation ceremony.
- The first two letters in this word refers to the names of the four lecturers.
- Urticaria is the medical name for red small raised welts which arise from release of histamine in the skin.
- The word Hutu is the name for the majority of people who live in the countries of Rwanda and Burundi.
- A ‘sea fret’ is the local name for the thick fogs that occasionally sweep in off the North Sea.
- Meg was a name for a little girl, while Maggie was a name for a teenager.
- Every family had their own name for the plastic wedges you get as rewards.
- And Frank would love to hear from any of you who can come up with a good name, or a better name for the series.
- We'd love your ideas on content, presentation and a final name for the show.
- A couple ended up in the Shenzhen divorce courts after failing to agree on a name for their child.
- CIA officers have a name for intelligence or military operations that rebound on those prosecuting them.
- My maiden name has been my name for my whole life and I saw no reason to change it.
- She always thought it was a funny name for a dad, but it was a comfortable name, a familiar name.
- The botanical name for fennel - Foeniculum vulgare - comes from the Latin word foenum meaning hay.
- From the root word Hri meaning imperishable, comes Hiranya the ancient name for gold.
- Well, it's just a fancy name for one of the most ancient toys known to mankind: the spinning top.
- Carey's relatives call her by her second name and use the French form of my name for me.
- Before he could escort Hazel to the hospital ball, she had to submit his name for Matron's approval.
- However, the children still haven't come up with a name for their new pet.
- No matter how confusing the English road names are, the Chinese name for the roads are unique.
1.2(of thing)nombre masculinewhat's the name of that thing there? — ¿cómo se llama eso?
- what's in a name? — ¿qué importa el nombre?
- she's manager in all but name — a todos los efectos / en la práctica, la directora es ella
- in name only — solo de nombre
- stop, in the name of the law! — ¡alto, en nombre de la ley!
- what in God's / heaven's name is this? — ¿qué diablos es esto?
- the name of the game
- cost reduction, that's the name of the game — hay que reducir los costos, eso es lo fundamental / de eso se trata
2.1(reputation)fama feminineto give sb/sth a bad name — darle mala fama a algn/algo
- to have a bad/good name — tener mala/buena fama
- he has made quite a name for himself as a designer — se ha hecho bastante fama como diseñador
- the film that really made his name — la película que lo lanzó al estrellato
- Different salons have acquired a name for a particular service, says a beautician.
- She's got a family and she works and she's made a good name for herself.
- Hitherto hopeless footballing nations suddenly emerged from obscurity and started to make a bit of a name for themselves.
2.2feminine figuramasculine nombreall the big names — todas las grandes figuras
- all the famous names — todos los famosos
- to drop names — mencionar a gente importante — para darse tono
1(give name to)(company/town) ponerle nombre a(boat) bautizar(boat) ponerle nombre athey named the baby George — le pusieron George al niño
- a man named Smith — un hombre llamado Smith
- to name sb/sth after / for sb
- they named her after Ann's mother — le pusieron el nombre de la madre de Ann
- he's been named John after his father — le han puesto John por su padre
- the city is named after the national hero — la ciudad lleva el nombre del héroe nacional
2(identify, mention)police have named the suspect — la policía ha dado el nombre del sospechoso
- the victim has been named as John Brown — la víctima ha sido identificada como John Brown
- to name but a few — por mencionar a unos pocos
- name your own price — diga usted cuánto
- have they named a date for the hearing? — ¿han fijado una fecha para la vista?
- to name the day — fijar la fecha de la boda
- you name it
- you name it, she's done it — ha hecho de todo lo habido y por haber
1USde nombrede renombrede prestigio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.