In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sleep)dar cabezadasto catch sb napping — agarrar a algn desprevenido Latin America
1(short sleep)sueñecito masculine informalsueñito masculine Latin America informalfeminine siestato have / take a nap — echarse un sueñecito (/ una siesta etc. )
1(on fabric)pelo masculinewith the nap — en la dirección del pelo
- against the nap — a contrapelo
- Flannel wool is a soft, lightweight fabric with a nap on one or both sides.
- You can use it for fabric with a nap too - just put an arrow on it.
- His bare feet stepped on the thick nap of the plush carpet underfoot.
- When woollen cloth was woven on a handloom the nap had to be combed in order to raise it.
- Brushing the nap against the grain on the pieces that were hung the wrong way will sometimes provide a more uniform look.
- Flannelette is a soft cotton fabric with a nap on one side.
- Adapting this technique to fleece involves taking advantage of the fabric's loft and nap to simplify the process.
- Brush blanket on both sides with stiff brush to raise nap, press binding, using synthetic setting on iron.
- The fabric will smooth down if you are going with the nap (like stroking a cat).
- Railroading means that the pattern or nap on the fabric goes from side to side of the roll rather than up the roll.
- Even the red velvet cushions on each chair look untouched, brushed by the servants so that the nap is all in the same direction.
- With these pressing aids, the velvet is placed face down on the board and the raised surface of the board prevents crushing the nap.
- If the carpet is a dark color, a light sweeping sends the little grains into the nap, where they disappear from view.
- For wear purposes, would it be best to have the grain nap go across the chair back and cushion, or from back to front, or front to back?
- Stitch all seams in the direction of the nap with right sides together.
- It might have also had its nap raised by the use of teasels over the surface of the fabric.
1(in horse racing)pronosticar como ganador
- Motivator was napped by three of our pundits when a panel of experts were asked for their Derby 1-2 - 3s.
1(in horse racing)pronóstico masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.