In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(people)nación femininethe British nation — los británicos
- Developed nations across the globe have stockpiled smallpox vaccines.
- Developing nations do not have the resources to accomplish this on their own.
- We are an Army at war, serving a nation at war.
- But the fledgling nation is facing a range of challenges.
- Could the search for medicinal plants help keep the forests of this African island nation intact?
- In fact, you could argue that sanctions make rogue nations more hostile and more dangerous.
- Even other advanced industrialized nations don't compare with the U.S. in this flexibility.
- What was it Napoleon said about the British being a nation of shopkeepers?
- For the first time in financial history, a major debtor nation owes its debt in its own currency.
- The surge of nationalistic solidarity sweeping the nation led his neighbors to strike their regionalist colors.
- We are after all talking about the richest, most powerful nation on Earth.
- The World War II memorial was dedicated this weekend in our nation's capital.
- But how did we become the most powerful and radical nation on the planet?
- Critics acknowledge that some Western European nations have state religions.
- Most other industrialized nations privately agree they are necessary but are loath to step forward and be counted.
- We, the richest, most powerful nation on the planet, could solve our social problems in a heartbeat.
- Thousands of plants and animals on the African island nation of Madagascar are found nowhere else in the world.
- The leading industrialised nations need to embark upon emergency transition strategy to renewable energy.
- We all know that the United States became the wealthiest nation on earth.
- The sooner we can distance ourselves from these artificial things known as nations the better.
- We cannot allow ourselves to be dependent on other nations, history has taught us that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.