In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Britain's Liberal Democrats, Conservatives and nationalist parties could learn much from this volume.
- It must be clear that this campaign is not based on narrow minded nationalist ideas but on genuine internationalist solidarity.
- In the case of glacial Super-Finland, the political relevance seems to be rather rightist, romantic and nationalist.
- In every country, versions of the past provide the raw material for nationalist and patriotic sentiments.
- A series of proposals were submitted to the leading unionist and nationalist parties in Northern Ireland last week.
- Throughout its history, outsiders wanted the women's movement to be nationalist first of all.
- Here lies the real significance of nationalist, racist and sexist divisions under capitalist society.
- Why did a petty-bourgeois nationalist outlook gain ascendancy?
- Significantly, nationalist movements in the Third World used European ideas to replace alien government with self-rule.
- The character of these nationalist movements varied widely in terms of local conditions.
- The inflaming of nationalist tendencies in Europe can only be traced back superficially to disputes over the draft constitution.
- Strongly nationalist, their goal was to create art that would help give Canadians a sense of their unique identity.
- In so far as they still clung to socialist phraseology, it was simply to give their nationalist programme a more acceptable cover.
- There are also socialists in the SNP or other nationalist parties and in the Greens.
- The present crisis on the docks illustrates the dead end of the nationalist and pro-capitalist policy of the trade union bureaucracy.
- This is a climate in which right-wing and nationalist demagogy flourishes.
- The results exposed deepening sectarian polarisation between nationalist and unionist voters.
- The governments in both countries are stirring up nationalist sentiment against each other.
- In working class areas, nationalist demands often merged with anti-capitalist and socialist demands.
- This, it is assumed, will undermine the nationalist / patriotic appeal of the resistance and transform it into an ethnic civil war.
- The leadership would fall to the workers' movement, which would win out over nationalist forces.
- They rejected independence for Ukraine and began to persecute Ukrainian nationalists.
- It was in the wake of the 1917 Russian Revolution that an opportunity arose for the Ukrainian nationalists.
- There it was met by thousands of trade unionists and Irish nationalists.
- A body of thought and mythology developed by reactionary German nationalists in the nineteenth century.
- That agreement merely allowed moderate nationalists like the SDLP to have some share of power.
- Now Jawaharlal Nehru was an Indian nationalist in politics and an English gentleman in his cultural make-up.
- He was a fervent French nationalist and a strong leader, a man who took on the United States and Britain.
- In fact he is a conservative politician, a nationalist who plays the anti-immigration card when it he suits him.
- As in Ireland, there is a deep rift between nationalists who can accommodate to a kind of autonomy and those who hold to the purist separatist ideal.
- Does a critique of fascism, nationalism or racism promote abuse against fascists, nationalists, and racists?
- However, the security services consistently had a much higher rate of arrest against loyalists than nationalists.
- Maneuvers between Quebec nationalists and the Canadian right are not new or exceptional.
- The users of these sites are mainly Uyghur nationalists and political activists.
- Most of those who are cheering England on, wearing a replica football shirt or flying a St George's flag are not right wing nationalists.
- Most of the opposition parties are involved in the committee, including the communists, socialists and nationalists.
- These were Bengali nationalists who won a majority of seats and won the elections.
- Broad Front is a left coalition made up of socialists, Communists and nationalists.
- The majority of SNP votes in urban areas come not from hard nationalists but from people seeking an alternative to Labour.
- In March 1848, authorities charged several leading nationalists with sedition.
- He was, first and foremost, a nationalist who wanted a strong and independent Scotland.
- During World War One, Stresemann, like the vast majority of Germans, had been a strong nationalist.
- He is a nationalist who from an early age had wanted a more independent Croatia.
- Its military campaigns and parades served only to antagonise the nationalists.
- They come from Labour and the Liberal Democrats equally, plus a few nationalists.
- Soren Abel was a Norwegian nationalist who was active politically in the movement to make Norway independent.
- That federation was opposed by nationalists who advocated political freedom from British rule.
- She started out as an emotional nationalist, full of passion and patriotism.
- The irony for nationalists is that the nation state is less able to deliver than ever.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.