In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(campaign) a escala nacional(appeal) a toda la naciónwe have a nationwide network of agents — tenemos una red de agentes que cubre todo el territorio nacional
- a nationwide survey — un estudio realizado a nivel nacional
1(distribute/operate) a escala nacionalthe broadcast was heard nationwide — la emisión fue escuchada en todo el territorio nacional
- It has grown into a nationwide insurrection by disillusioned suburban youths.
- Watch out for huge nationwide celebrations - and abroad - throughout the year too.
- We can solicit nationwide through the mail but we don't have direct contact with our customers.
- It is one of only two companies nationwide to achieve such status.
- I believe there is no general nationwide awareness of the problems that exist.
- The insurance business would be conducted through its nationwide network, he added.
- The club is the fastest growing commercial vehicle group with nationwide membership in the country.
- Italy is the latest country to stage a nationwide protest against the euro.
- A nationwide weapons amnesty has been held throughout the month and finishes tonight.
- This gave the regulators a snapshot of how widespread exam fraud is nationwide.
- The children had not been seen for two days and had sparked a nationwide hunt.
- His Stoke-on-Trent station broadcasts nationwide and to some European countries.
- He is currently doing a short tour of the country prior to the nationwide release of his first album.
- If the government does not do away with the proposed service tax then we will be forced to hold a nationwide strike.
- The competition is the largest of its kind in the country and is publicised nationwide.
- It is part of a pilot study believed to be the first of its kind in the country which, if successful, could take off nationwide.
- The case has nationwide implications for any motorist found to be over the drink-drive limit in a parked vehicle.
- In Greece, a four-hour nationwide strike against war paralysed the country.
- If successful, the pilot programme will be rolled out to every school nationwide from next year.
- This is being promoted through an intensive nationwide press and outdoor media campaign.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.