In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Military Nauticalmarina de guerra femininearmada femininethe US Navy — la armada / marina de los EEUU
- the Royal Navy — la armada / marina británica
- Despite his harrowing moments, Jennings said he never thought about leaving the navy.
- He had left the navy in disgrace after an affair with a young girl.
- Everybody I know joined the army, navy, air force, marines or coast guard.
- He said that members of the British merchant navy were civilians and had no military status.
- Coventry has been linked with Her Majesty's navy since 1658.
- At the same time we have deployed our navy to harass and turn away boats.
- He dropped out of a New Jersey university in his third year to join the US navy.
- There were also brochures from the different sections of the military: the navy, army, marines, etc.
- Born in Scotland, Jones enlisted in the British merchant navy at the age of thirteen.
- For all practical purposes, the Japanese navy had ceased to exist as an organized fighting force.
- In 1992 three female navy veterans applied for admission to the daytime veterans' program.
- Hundreds of the missiles are slated to be produced for the navy - the only branch of the military which has until now shown interest in purchasing the new weapons system.
- Britain had the world's most powerful navy and a small army.
- In its more than 300-year history, the Russian navy has given rise to many glorious professional traditions.
- This problem extends into all branches of the Canadian Armed Forces: the navy, the air force and army.
- During that period Spain had the most powerful navy in the world.
- The incident happened in waters where the navy was conducting a massive sonar exercise.
- An Italian navy ship dropped rescue vessels into the water.
- Shortly after the operation got under way, the North Korean navy reacted with surprise and precision.
- The completion date for the navy's nuclear-powered submarine was postponed several times, from 1995 to 2010.
- Anti-aircraft missiles were on standby and the Spanish navy was also patrolling the seaside city.
- According to the conscription law, those in the army must serve three years, while those in the navy and air force serve four.
2(colour)azul marino masculine
1(colour)azul marinoa navy ribbon — una cinta azul marino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.