In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Glasgow compounded their numerous defensive lapses with a host of handling errors and needless turnovers.
- In time people realized that such actions could trigger needless conflicts among themselves.
- The other was an annoyance at how much needless work he'd put into most of those stories.
- Frankly I can't afford to go wasting fifteen quid on something as needless as this.
- The Harps looked to have this game in the bag only to nearly throw it away, conceding numerous needless frees.
- Anything that seeks to undermine rights is a needless compromise and a huge and terminal step backwards.
- Of course such grief is perfectly understandable, following the loss of loved ones in a needless war far, far away.
- Until there is a dramatic improvement in the behaviour of all road users, this tragic and needless loss of life will continue.
- No week seems complete without some report of the actions of mindless people engaged in needless acts.
- Such neatness, such needless destruction of good healthy vegetation, does not fall naturally with me.
- It cannot be right that we should force people to suffer endless, needless agonies, knowing they will not get better.
- There are far too many people using their cars for needless short journeys such as taking their children to school, he says.
- That's what people complain about most in modern theatre, needless violence, nudity, all that.
- Please improve the quality of your paper by removing this needless source of controversy from its pages.
- A feeling of anger followed by concern wells up when we see this or when we read of so many needless deaths of young people.
- This is our first duty to them and is why we should continue to oppose a Government which is exposing them to such great and needless danger.
- He said disputes and votes being called on the order of business were causing needless disruption.
- If the installation of safety cameras can cut down on the needless injury and loss of life on our roads then this should be encouraged.
- The second thing that happens with everyone having a point of view is a lot of needless length.
- Have compassion for all beings, causing them no unnecessary hurt, nor needless harm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.