In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At this stage in the development of the archetypal pin-up photograph, there was still more satin than skin, with the figure hugging satin gowns and silk negligees being the props de rigueur.
- Serena has kept the photographers happy here by wearing what looks like a black negligee with giant pink tyre marks on it.
- A number of companies have offered, and still do, camouflage negligees, which begs the question: If you can see through camouflage is it really camouflage?
- Her flawless chocolate skin appeared soft and inviting against the ivory silk of her negligee.
- They're all scantily clad in nighties and negligees, and it's hard to see past that into their characterization.
- Tucked down the side of one, inexplicably, was a black negligee.
- Then you come swooping in, wearing some lacy negligee and a silk dressing gown.
- Do what you enjoy - whether it's showering, putting on after-shave or perfume, or wearing silk pajamas or a flattering negligee.
- He waits in eager anticipation as she changes into her negligee in the bathroom…
- Did she wear the rose negligee, the pink see-through slip or the purple Empire-waisted gown?
- Feeling luxuriously languid in your silk negligee, you lounge against the bedroom door, caressing the door jamb like it's a small fluffy puppy.
- The beige moulded shop-fittings remained, but the knickers and negligees made way for campaign posters and canvassing rotas and, on a plinth where the cash register once stood, a vase of red roses, which proceeded to bloom.
- She then gets up, cleans the house in her negligee, takes out the garbage in her negligee - and is attacked by her lecherous landlord.
- Laughter, compromise, a naughty negligee - these are just some of the keys to a happy marriage, say couples who have been together 15 years or more.
- She was lounging in a silk negligee, covered up with a bed robe.
- Some hats were homemade, like the old cowboy hat covered with a red negligee.
- A babydoll is a short nightgown or negligee intended as nightwear for a female.
- Mary opens the door wearing a black negligee and drags Frank inside.
- Viewers of the TV and cinema ad saw the man driving around a city, inter-cut with shots of the same mannequin's face and its hand hitching up its negligee to expose the top of its stockings.
- One morning I was dressed in my black negligee when the postman called with a registered letter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.