In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(country) vecinothe neighboring house — la casa vecina / de al lado
- the town and the neighboring villages — la ciudad y los pueblos de los alrededores
- He was the first to introduce water and sewage for a city of that size and provided electricity to neighboring farms.
- Imagine what would happen if those small villages of 20 to 50 households are allowed to federate, or join with neighboring villages.
- With this technique, the rate at which a site experiences change can be modified by substitutions at neighboring sites.
- The author witnessed several tragedies, including one small-scale massacre by a neighboring population.
- The neighboring elevator was down by the lobby, unmoving.
- Spraying water on surrounding areas to prevent the flames from jumping the perimeters of the plant saved the neighboring buildings.
- My research takes place in my own study or in the libraries of neighboring research institutions.
- Yet he does not make any effort to make people in neighboring countries understand his actions.
- Rangoon currently bans the import of 15 product items from neighboring countries.
- Like amoebas, the hotel chains expand until they collide and fight with neighboring rivals.
- One town will try to outdo their neighboring town in order to steal away their sales taxes.
- Prune as needed to keep the exuberant foliage from casting unwanted shade on neighboring plants.
- The Belgian haven has helped pressure neighboring countries into rolling back their taxes.
- Flocks were never observed crossing into neighboring woodlots.
- An ethnic group within the state then demands to be united with its kith and kin in a neighboring state.
- His family had forced him to get engaged to a girl in the neighboring village, whom they had singled out.
- In Austria and neighboring regions, glassmaking enjoyed royal patronage and the Venetian style was introduced with royal support.
- The mean annual survival rates of female turkeys in Connecticut were similar to rates reported in neighboring states.
- To successfully collect seeds and grow seedlings you must locate fruiting females with several neighboring males.
- During this time, the distances between neighboring islands were probably reduced to 30-90 km.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.