In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mary excelled at knitting and produced many beautiful garments for her nieces and nephews.
- On occasion his position became hereditary, sons, cousins, nephews succeeding.
- Unmarried women living with parents or siblings will take care of the parents or nephews and nieces.
- My nieces and nephews in the same age group who knew the kids said the argument was over water.
- His is regretted by his brother, sisters, nephews, nieces, relatives and friends.
- Your kids are like my own nieces and nephews and Devon has gotten to be like a brother.
- That was no surprise as she was a member of a family steeped in sport and she was always proud of the success of her nephews and nieces.
- You are so much to so many people, husband, dad, son, brother, uncle, nephew and friend.
- Prayers of the Faithful were read by Brendan, Alan and Karen, nephews and niece of the deceased.
- He was also a doting uncle who could always be depended upon to looking after his treasured nieces and nephews.
- He also feels duty bound to promote not only his own children but also his nieces and nephews.
- He adores his nieces and nephews, but is unconcerned that he won't have children of his own.
- He also enjoyed the many family occasions of his nieces and nephews, who always took special care of him.
- She is also survived by many nieces and nephews, who were very special to her.
- He is survived by his brother, sisters, nephews, nieces and by other relations.
- He and his girlfriend, Diane McGarry, entertained a bundle of young nieces and nephews at Christmas.
- To Derek, Michelle and family and all his nieces, nephews, neighbours and friends.
- Do uncles have special bonds with their nieces, which aunts have with their nephews?
- Many of her siblings and nieces and nephews have visited her since her move to Zimbabwe in the sixties.
- His children and nephews watch silently as the mammal's fat and rich, bloody meat is removed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.