In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1polluelo masculinebefore noun nestling thrush/blackbird — polluelo de zorzal/mirlo masculine
- Birds were ringed as nestlings or when breeding and measured using standard procedures.
- They scavenge for carrion and garbage and also prey on rodents and on the eggs and nestlings of other birds.
- Both of these nestlings were from the same nest, and the other two nestlings from this nest did match the female at all loci.
- Females built the nest and incubated alone, but both parents fed nestlings and fledglings.
- It's the first study to show that birds have learned to recognize and reject cuckoo nestlings.
- We returned nestlings to nests as quickly as possibly after processing.
- Supposedly, martens use a nest-box as a search image while hunting for nestlings and adult birds.
- On our way out of campus, we stopped by Shroud and Bev's apartment to check on the House Finch nestlings.
- All nestlings were returned to their home nests at the end of each trial.
- We provided food supplements to half of the nestlings in each nest during the nestling period.
- At the end of the food deprivation period, we removed all nestlings from their nests and put them in a cloth bag.
- Birds not ringed as nestlings were aged and sexed according to the method of Jenni and Winkler.
- They are very aggressive and are able to take over nests and kill the eggs and nestlings of other birds.
- We returned nestlings to their nests and repaired cavities with duct tape.
- In one nest, some nestlings died before 7 days of age and were therefore excluded from the analysis.
- I noted the number of phoebe and cowbird eggs and nestlings at each visit.
- So why do superb fairy-wrens appear to be unique in their ability to desert cuckoo nestlings?
- This is fortunate, because house wren nestlings have prodigious appetites.
- Surprisingly, one way that such males can acquire a mate is to kill the young nestlings and then pair with the female who has to start a new family.
- All nests that contained eggs or nestlings were classified as occupied.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.