- Cushing believed that a properly trained neurosurgeon must also be a clinical and experimental neuroscientist, and have a good command of clinical neurology, neuropathology, and neurophysiology.
- He undertook postdoctoral training in neuroendocrinology and neurophysiology at the Brain Research Institute, UCLA, and the Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland.
- During his 5 years in Bonn, Waller turned to his second major focus in neurophysiology, the autonomic nervous system.
- The 10 other respondents were from a wide range of disciplines, including academia, radiology, endocrinology, and clinical neurophysiology.
- When the findings in these specialties are applied to medicine as part of an integrated scientific field, the concept of behavioral science expands to include neuroanatomy and neurophysiology.