- The field of neuropsychiatry has undergone tremendous growth over the past few decades.
- In children's mental health, this has resulted in the creation of not only new diagnostic categories but whole new classes of disorder such as developmental neuropsychiatry.
- It is the function of the growing speciality of neuropsychiatry to investigate the psychiatric effects of disorders that have a neurological function or structure.
- During that era, many medical professionals and the general public considered neuropsychiatry to be almost synonymous with biological psychiatry.
- As you'll hear later, the development of psychosurgery, and the debate surrounding it, have been a close companion to the evolution of neuropsychiatry.