In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The leptons consist of the charged electron, muon and tau, together with three electronically neutral particles - the electron neutrino, muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos.
- The electron and muon neutrinos are easier to produce and detect than the tau neutrino.
- Cosmic neutrinos are extremely high energy subatomic particles, like protons and electrons, but neutrinos have no electrical charge.
- The proton and the neutron are baryons; the electron, the muon, and the neutrino are leptons; whilst the pions are mesons.
- And if we hit a proton with an electron, we get a neutron and an electron neutrino at the other end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.