In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An alpha particle consists of two protons and two neutrons; it is the nucleus of a helium atom.
- The mass number gives you the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of that element.
- Even the protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus are believed to made of even smaller particles called quarks.
- If conditions are right, protons and electrons then fuse into neutrons, creating a neutron star.
- The result would be a star made entirely of neutrons, and these could be packed together as closely as the protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.