also newel post
1(de una escalera) poste (de arranque) masculine(in spiral staircase) espigón masculine
- On older staircases the newel may be held in place with dowels.
- Since most fighters were right-handed, the stairways were built in such a way that if you were trying to get up the stairs, the newel post is on your right-hand side.
- The stairways were built upon spiral vaults, winding round a central newel.
- On top of the newel post, use a wooden fitting called a starting easement, which caps off the post and provides a transition to the handrail.
- The spent cartridge cases were found lying fairly close together, and the nearest of them appears from the scale plans placed before the jury to have been lying a little less than 4 metres from the newel post at the foot of the stairs.
- The pitch pine and mahogany staircase has antique courtesy lights atop carved newel posts and leads to five large bedrooms, all with en suites.
- Luckily, some of the original spindles and newel posts were still present, so the Cousley's had them copied and restored the staircase to its former glory.