In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
also Newfoundland dog
- The book details the expedition's planning, its adventures and discoveries, and its aftermath, focusing especially on the exploits of Seaman, Meriweather Lewis's Newfoundland dog.
- Overall it looked like a great snake, a large Newfoundland dog, a steam yacht (although traveling too fast to be one), a horse, a Florida manatee, a submarine periscope, a whale, etc., etc.
- And no, I'm not a surly Canadian; the name just refers to my big, black Newfoundland dog.
- A large black Newfoundland dog entered the room by walking in through the waterfall.
- No, he's not a Newfoundland, but a small golden retriever mix.
- While there are no official numbers on how many Newfoundlands are certified in water search-and-recovery, Gundersen estimates there are less than 50 throughout the United States.
- I met with one of the most extraordinary phenomena that I ever saw, or heard of: - Mr Sellers has in his yard a large Newfoundland dog, and an old raven.
- Suddenly, Jupiter opens the front door of the house and an enormous Newfoundland dog runs inside and happily jumps upon the narrator, licking his face eagerly.
- I now sat, still in the blue evening gown I'd worn for the performance, covered in Band-Aids, curled in the beanbag chair in my living room, Schu, my loveable Newfoundland dog, collapsed at my feet.
- It features Milo, a glorious Newfoundland dog, cradling another hapless victim of the turbulent waters off New England's Egg Rock lighthouse.
- This has been the case with three of the Newfoundlands I've adopted, who've been wonderful, healthy pets.
- Even Lewis's Newfoundland dog, Seaman, suffered from needle grass barbs.
- The Missouri was remarkable for its ‘sinuosity’; it meandered over a wide bottom, ever sculpting the valley environment for a wonderful diversity of wildlife, including blue catfish larger than a Newfoundland dog.
- Swimming pools used Newfoundlands as lifeguards.
- Worton owner Christine Bodman's Newfoundland dog, Lobo, whose pedigree name is Sheridel Luciano of Acara, also did well, taking second place in the special junior section of his class.
- Curly is a cheerful Newfoundland dog purchased by Francois and Perrault, whom Buck first meets aboard the Narwhal.
- He brought his son Jack, 12, along with their giant Newfoundland dog, Rose.
- Wendy, John and Michael are the children of Mr and Mrs Darling and their nurse is a Newfoundland dog called Nana.
- This would be boring, if not for a cameo by a Newfoundland named Josh, last year's Westminster winner.
- The two Newfoundland dogs are regular fixtures at the pelican crossing near the school where retired Hampshire policeman Tony works on weekdays - so much so that they are said to be part of the school.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.