In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So the 20th century brought two major refinements of the old Newtonian picture: quantum mechanics and relativity.
- The remarkable insight of Einstein was to discard the Newtonian notion of absolute time and view simultaneity in purely operational terms.
- They lectured on the tenets of the Newtonian system and valiantly defended contentious issues of Newtonian natural philosophy against attacks from critics.
- Although we can know the everyday world in its Newtonian clarity, we can only know the quantum world if we are prepared to accept it in its Heisenbergian uncertainty.
- In the Einsteinian world there is more individualism and less government than in the Newtonian.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.