In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoology(North American) caracatey masculine(European) chotacabras feminine
- Some species with large mouths and small bills, such as nighthawks, whip-poor wills, and the aptly named frogmouth owls, open their bills wide as they fly into insects, and the prey is captured in the birds’ gaping maws.
- The first kicks off at 8: 30 while for the nighthawks, a second session will begin at 11: 30.
- Aping the seventies, this bar is for lounging and proves very popular among the more sophisticated of nighthawks prior to later excesses of the night.
- It is smaller than a nighthawk, with a shorter tail.
- His people were never the iconic nighthawks Edward Hopper found at the diner.
- I'm a real nighthawk and I love chatting to listeners about what's on their minds.
- Suitably soporific, it's one for sophisticated nighthawks only.
- He has a job, a home, he can come and go; he can look at the customers with a half-smile. It is the customers who are the nighthawks.
- Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.
- Swallows, swifts and nighthawks, all pursuing flying insects, fly erratically.
- Few people were out since it was so late, though it was hard to avoid the nighthawks.
- The nighthawk belongs to the Family Caprimulgidae, a group of nocturnal and crepuscular birds also known as the nightjars.
- The nighthawks sit alone, lost in their individual thoughts, as if in a glass bowl.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.