- The nocturnal owls, nightjars, and allies often are poorly known, and very few species have been studied in detail.
- The classification we use recognizes three distinct orders for owls, falcons, and nightjars.
- We even visited the walkway at night with the good fortune of looking down on one of the rarest birds of our trip, a brown nightjar, a not too distant relative of our whippoorwill, but a very rare and little-known bird.
- Birds such as grouse, crows, quail, partridge, nightjars, cuckoos, shrikes, larks, pipits, merlins, harriers, kestrels and buzzards would all have been seen.
- My encounters with that mysterious bird, the nightjar, have been few and are perhaps the more memorable for that.