In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1BritishSportcero masculinewe lost two nil — perdimos por dos a cero
- the score is three nil to United — United va ganando por tres a cero
- it was nilnil at half time — al finalizar el primer tiempo iban cero a cero / iban empatados a cero
- Hosting Bangalow on Saturday they came away with a convincing 3 - nil victory.
- Claremorris recorded a 3 - nil win over Kilmore in the Mayo senior league last Saturday evening.
- She played a starring role for the team in their recent 1 - nil win over Iceland.
- The Academy started brightly and lead by two points to nil after five minutes.
- A player who wanted to bid nil would do so at their turn to bid.
- Bangalow should have put the game away but squandered a 2 - nil lead late in the game.
- Newbridge were good value for their 15 points to nil half time lead.
- Ballina led 9 - nil at half-time having played with the wind.
- They were winning by eight points to nil until Ronan Conway scored the only goal of the game well into injury time.
- The reason I bring the story of Hectors bravery to the fore is because I have none, nil, not a drop.
- Although he played a very strong opponent he put up a strong fight but lost 2 games to nil.
- They won by four goals to nil, with two goals scored in either half.
- After the home side led at the break by a goal to nil, the visitors scored two early goals at the start of the second half to put them in the driving seat.
- Vikings started strongly but were unable to convert and so the game was locked at nil all in the first half.
- Anyway, they beat us by one goal to nil scored by Roberto Carlos in the first half.
- The under 16 boys lost three nil to Wexford Albion in the league.
- We've been here half an hour already and there's been absolutely nil.
- Players who bid nil are committed to winning no tricks themselves.
- The losers led by three points to nil at the change of ends, all of their scores coming from the boot of ace marksman John Sheehan.
- Michael Conroy made it two nil with a fine opportunistic point from play after gathering a Damian Munnelly free.
1nulohe has nil support among the middle classes — no tiene ningún apoyo entre la clase media
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.