In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cero masculinewe lost two nil — perdimos por dos a cero
- the score is three nil to United — United va ganando por tres a cero
- it was nilnil at half time — al finalizar el primer tiempo iban cero a cero / iban empatados a cero
- Although he played a very strong opponent he put up a strong fight but lost 2 games to nil.
- The Academy started brightly and lead by two points to nil after five minutes.
- Ballina led 9 - nil at half-time having played with the wind.
- The under 16 boys lost three nil to Wexford Albion in the league.
- They won by four goals to nil, with two goals scored in either half.
- Bangalow should have put the game away but squandered a 2 - nil lead late in the game.
- Players who bid nil are committed to winning no tricks themselves.
- Vikings started strongly but were unable to convert and so the game was locked at nil all in the first half.
- Newbridge were good value for their 15 points to nil half time lead.
- After the home side led at the break by a goal to nil, the visitors scored two early goals at the start of the second half to put them in the driving seat.
- A player who wanted to bid nil would do so at their turn to bid.
- The reason I bring the story of Hectors bravery to the fore is because I have none, nil, not a drop.
- Hosting Bangalow on Saturday they came away with a convincing 3 - nil victory.
- Claremorris recorded a 3 - nil win over Kilmore in the Mayo senior league last Saturday evening.
- The losers led by three points to nil at the change of ends, all of their scores coming from the boot of ace marksman John Sheehan.
- We've been here half an hour already and there's been absolutely nil.
- They were winning by eight points to nil until Ronan Conway scored the only goal of the game well into injury time.
- Anyway, they beat us by one goal to nil scored by Roberto Carlos in the first half.
- Michael Conroy made it two nil with a fine opportunistic point from play after gathering a Damian Munnelly free.
- She played a starring role for the team in their recent 1 - nil win over Iceland.
1nulohe has nil support among the middle classes — no tiene ningún apoyo entre la clase media
- Like all ideas that involve huge spending today to save money tomorrow, it has been spent to nil effect.
- The feedback is almost nil nowadays, and one does not want to flog a dead horse!
- At this point his resistance to any request, no matter how strange, was practically nil.
- Using two tanks will give you a range of around 100 miles in nil wind or much more if you fly downwind.
- Our knowledge of Pappus's life is almost nil.
- Simply open a new account and then arrange for a balance transfer to a card with a nil balance.
- In both situations, they would have difficulty launching in nil wind.
- Since there are no factories or workshops the demand for labour is almost nil.
- A farmer is not regarded as charged to tax in those years if he had a farming loss, or if profits were nil due to stock relief.
- Private ownership of cars, television sets, telephones, was virtually nil.
- Thirty years ago, there were always two officers walking up and down the street and the crime rate was nil.
- The results so far have been almost nil; the ground is extremely hard.
- There is virtually nil slave trade and ivory is becoming harder and harder to get.
- Would a nil return be appreciated for the Court?
- There was nil wind on the ground, but I had a perfect two-stepper landing.
- This situation, with such a trade balance and the high level of the current account, calls for a nil budget deficit.
- Unlike losing golf balls, the chances of any further payments are virtually nil.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.