In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tontaina feminine informaltontainas feminine informalbobo masculine informalboba feminine informal
- Further, only a ninny can suppose that the intellectual and mystical are opposites (tell it to St. Thomas).
- Some of us like to get on with it instead of whining like ninnies.
- Is this really the moment for the grinning ninny to inflict his woeful attempts at some classic music moments upon the listening public?
- Other than a few screaming ninnies - the usual suspects - where's the outrage?
- Can negative ninnies like my mother, who raise their families in dark, sneering realms of impossibility, be taught to embrace the possible?
- I know it must seem like I'm a ninny about Philip Levine, but this was on the Writer's Almanac on my birthday and I loved it so much.
- You could say that having the freedom to act blonde is testament to the confidence of feminism in a new century - or you could just say we're all a lot of self-indulgent ninnies.
- I don't respect all who oppose it since a great many of them seem like ninnies or cads.
- Except for a scant few, the characters in St. Elmo's Fire are all either weasels, deceptive clods or selfish ninnies.
- Nobody, unless he's an arrogant ninny, would ever say ‘I am an intellectual.’
- I only meant I'm sorry the ninnies couldn't take a bit of curry.
- Of course, this being the Seattle PI, they have to interview a couple of ninnies who wring their hands about ‘conservatism’.
- But now it transpires that our soldiers truly are being shot by both sides: the patronising ninnies who would prevent them from going to war at all, and the soulless penny-pinchers who think that soldiers matter only when they're fighting.
- Acting like a hysterical ninny wasn't going to make my day get any better.
- CBS canceled The Reagans, a four-hour mini-series, after conservative activists and pundits said it made Ronald Reagan out to be a ninny and a bigot.
- Because, of course, the self-important ninnies who compile such things, complacent in their arrogance that their opinions matter, really haven't a clue what they're talking about in most cases.
- The outrage described in this article is not that of rational people fearing that televising exorcisms lends the ceremony a validity it does not deserve, but the bleating of superstitious ninnies.
- They're not smiling like ninnies the whole time, either, but all the people we talked to were smart and friendly and ready to help.
- I found them to be almost universally composed of ninnies and power-hungry dorks.
- It's just that few choose to, because it's exhausting and demoralising permanently to present oneself as a grinning ninny.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.