In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Vacuuming is recommended to pick up fallen hairs with nits attached from upholstered furniture, carpets and beds.
- There are products to loosen the ‘cement’ attaching nits to hair shafts.
- There were three blankets to cover us, all covered with fleas, nits and insects.
- Presumably mineral oil is acting like petroleum jelly to smother the live lice and loosen nits.
- The use of chemical preparations to kill the nits and lice is controversial.
- You can tell if your child has lice by checking his hair for nits.
- If you do not want to use these products, you have to pick the lice and nits out of the hair by hand or use a special comb to remove them.
- Combing with a special nit comb can be a very effective, if time-consuming, way to combat nits and head lice - when used in conjunction with a natural or pharmaceutical remedy.
- Parents generally discover head lice by seeing the nits in a child's hair, or when children complain of itching.
- I've been pulling nits from her hair 2-3 times a day.
- Lice lay nits on hair shafts close to the skin's surface, where the temperature is perfect for keeping warm until they hatch.
- The white lice nits were found on 76% of birds and are easily seen.
- Enzymatic shampoos that claim to dissolve the glue that attaches nits to hair are also available.
- Apply once a day for athlete's foot; for nits, comb through hair and leave overnight, then reapply in 10 days.
- For an effective treatment for nits and hair lice, soak at least 20 seeds for an hour in warm water.
- Patients were considered cured if they experienced no increased scratching and itching, and there were no visible lice or nits after a wet combing test.
- Vinegar or vinegar-based products that are applied to the hair for three minutes before combing help loosen the nits attached to the hair shaft.
- Infested people usually have no more than 10 to 12 live head lice at a time but can harbor hundreds of eggs and nits.
- Every month the lice are still there, with their sticky white nits glued to Joelle's hair like rice burned to the side of a saucepan.
- In the first trial, parents were instructed to remove nits (lice eggs) with a nit-removal comb during step two, and in the second trial parents skipped this step.
2British informal(idiot)idiota femininebobo masculine informalboba feminine informalzonzo masculine Latin America informalzonza feminine Latin America informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.